Sunday 16 February 2014

love sweet love





love sweet love



I cooked your dinner for you,
didn’t I?
I made your favourite for you,
I did...

...that proved that I love you! No need to come out with all that claptrap… and say it out loud! For heaven’s sake, what is the world coming to, wine’ve got storms to worry about…

we’ve got floods and houses under water

farmers crying
cattle dying
trees snapping
water lapping
sewage in the garden and sewage through the door, raw  on the floor...

and

you want to play Valentine?!!

I made your favourite
I did...

...that shows that I love you! All this nonsense you want, the hugs and the kisses, no need for that  rubbish, I say, for goodness sake, what’s wrong with you,
...there’s animals to think about, old Ethel to look out for, take care of her cat, it’s as simple as that... as her lane is like a river...

sends a shiver down my back...

water seeping
lambs are bleating
kids are scowling
winds are howling
roof tiles crashing through the air, sleet and snow and lightning flashing...

and

you want me to be your Valentine?!!

...I’m wet and I’m cold, the dog needs to pee, the shop in the village is shut... under water...there’s sandbags to lay, one on top of the other and they’re cold, they’re so heavy and I watch the water rising...

but

...I long for my bed, and feel snug and warm, want for a hug with my man, sweet, tender words, sleepy time talk and drift slowly and safe into the world where we dream, where we snore and we sigh, long belly rumbles, slow tummy grumbles, contentment driven and we mumble in dreaming till morning to wake to the sunrise...blue morning sky, to birds announcing the coming of spring in the apple blossom outside the window, a gentle mist with dew drop rainbows on the lawn...the sound of the sea as the pebbles rattle on the incoming tide...

...a nice day out  would be nice, just what I wish for, just the two of us, and nobody else, coffee at Jacko’s and a glass of red later for dinner at the Bistro, a posh little place with only eight tables laid with crisp damask and the waiter, black trousers, white shirt, just the right distance away asking me what I’d like...Madame...a steak would be nice, I would tell you, done to a turn...you would say, just a hint of pink in the middle, the same thing for me but quite rare and tiny green beans on the side glistening with butter and specks of black pepper and a choc squirty line zigzagging over the plate, an artist’s touch, papaya sorbet to follow to clear our palettes and then a fresh plump peach for dessert for us to cut with a little silver knife, a praline of bitter, dark chocolate on the side...a cocoa liqueur for me when we finish and a Remy for you, he knows what we want, it’s always the same, and we want plenty of time to relax, be in the moment we say and look out at the sunset over the bar where the white of the waves has turned the colour of roses...for the memory we did this...

... as on the day we were wed...a little gift for you and a little gift for me...a red rose perhaps, handmade chocolates or maybe Chanel?  English Fern for you, that I do know, Penhaligon’s best...with a pretty red bow in my bag...just something small, just something special, just a little I love you to remember the day and to remember for better for worse....

but

it’s not really like that now, is it?...
...bad news to contend with, politics and plebs, bonuses, tax, children eaten by dogs and sweethearts axed...
looting and stealing and martyrs at large...

and

you want lovey dovey Valentine?


...the tempests that rage, one storm after another...
waves smashing the houses and barns...straw bales are rotting...no feed and no seed...
..can’t go on anymore, my fingers are bleeding through the tips of my gloves...

what’s the matter with you!

can’t you see?...

that

...my hands are so sore, stiff hands from holding the water at bay...
...but I go on with the others...
...we work, come what may...

...I made you your favourite dinner...
...that’s quite enough love...
...have you nothing to tell me or say?

...he patted his belly...

...contented and full...
...he stretched...
...smiled awry...


...ate it all my dear love...I did...didn’t I?...

                                                                                                                   


No comments:

Post a Comment